1.30.2009

Finished the Twilight Saga

I actually finished a couple of weeks ago but this is the first time I feel like I have been able to write about the series. The easiest way to put it... I have a love hate relationship with the series. I really enjoy the suspense, and the danger, and to an extent I even enjoyed the "romance." These books are out of the normal for me, I usually enjoy Humor books, Jen Lancaster, Chelsea Handler so on an so forth, but I totally got into these books. While the author, Stephanie Meyer, can certainly hook a reader with blood shed, smoldering eyes, and the never ending anticipation of death her writing was so predictable. I also felt like the book had a smidgen of Mormon propaganda with it's proclamation of abstinence (not that, that's bad but seriously, in a romance novel???). The book also portrayed an unrealistic love relationship, Vampire + Human (DUH!), but not only that it gives an unrealistic expectation of what love is. As far as I am concerned, no one falls that hard, no one has a whole bore through the body because a missing love. Even if you take out the vampire stuff, a love relationship can't be like that, perfect, lusty-love, torture? Seriously?

Honestly though I liked the books enough to read them all with in a couple of weeks, and will probably end up buying them. The series is a fast and simple read. The Twilight Saga is becoming part of the the American youth culture, and as I work with youth I had to read them, right?

(Please note, after these book I have a loathsome attitude toward the phrase "smoldering eyes" or really anything to do with the attraction to eyes at all. I mean seriously?)

No comments:

Post a Comment