1.18.2010

What I've Always Wanted To Be

Today after work I had to run to the mall to exchange a pair of shoes (it's a long story of right color wrong size vs. wrong color right size, very tragic). I ran in exchanged my shoes and surprisingly ran right back out of the mall when I was finished, Before I headed home I stopped at Target to pick a few things up and when I was leaving I saw myself in the tall, shiny, reflective windows of the West Des Moines, Super Target. The way I looked didn't surprise me, I mean I've seen myself in the mirror before, but what I saw did surprise me.

I saw a woman who was put together nicely in black pants and a red top, wearing black (totally adorable) shoes, a gray pea coat, black scarf and green striped gloves. In one hand she carried a (beautiful, green) purse and a Target bag, in the other hand she carried her keys, she was headed home in a rush.

Then I realized she was me. It was weird. Some sort of out of body experience. When had I become her... or when had she become me? On the way home I was thinking of my reflection and realized that for so long that was what I wanted to become, someone who looked nice, had a job, was mobile, independent and grown up. Well, now I am those things and I have no idea when or how that happened but it did and I'm happy with that.

1 comment: